Ready to kick off the new year with travel? Whether you’re dreaming of warm sandy beaches or vibrant city lights, I’ve uncovered the secrets to finding cheap January flights. Dive into this guide to discover the cheapest places to fly in January, offering both sun-soaked retreats and captivating urban landscapes. Your adventure awaits, without emptying your wallet!
As the last firework fades on New Year’s Eve and the festive decorations are packed away, the reality of the long winter ahead can seem a little daunting. Fear not! There’s a silver lining to this frosty time of year. January is ripe with opportunities for new adventures, especially for those savvy travelers hunting for affordable winter flights after the holiday season.
Imagine swapping snow boots for sandals on a sun-drenched beach, or trading the familiar skyline for exotic locales. Whether you’re a sun seeker, a snow lover, or a city explorer, there are plenty of cheap January destinations that are perfect for a winter getaway, and they won’t empty your wallet. We’re talking about spots that offer more bang for your buck, more adventure for your dime, and experiences you’d never thought you’d get for such a steal!
From the historic streets of San Juan, Puerto Rico, to the iconic skyline of New York City, we’ve curated a list that answers the burning question: where is cheap to fly in January? These spots aren’t just wallet-friendly. They’re teeming with unique attractions, tantalizing cuisine, and experiences that will nourish your travel-loving soul. So, let’s banish those winter blues! Dust off your suitcase, and let’s discover the cheapest places to fly in January.
#1 tip for finding cheap flights in January
Looking for cheap flights in January? Before diving into all the top cities and airports to fly in January, I want to share a quick tip on how to save money on airfare.
For the past 3 years, I’ve used Scott’s Cheap Flights (now called Going) to get amazing flight deals. All you have to do is enter your home airport and where you want to go, and from there, they’ll send you mistake fares and other ridiculously cheap flight deals. And the coolest part? It’s 100% FREE! In 2023, I’ve saved thousands of dollars from their email alerts. This includes most recently, a $123 roundtrip fare from Boston to San Juan, Puerto Rico.
There’s a free and a premium version – the free one has pretty much everything you’ll need. Though if you’re like me and travel a lot, it’s worth upgrading to the paid version for $49 per year. I recommend signing up for the free trial (you can cancel at any time) to try it for yourself. And if you like it, use my coupon code JON20 to save 20%!
Now without further ado, here are the best flights in January in 2023.
1. San Juan, Puerto Rico
Escape to a world where the warmth of the sun dissolves winter’s chill. San Juan, Puerto Rico’s vibrant capital, offers an enticing mix of sun-soaked relaxation and rich cultural experiences. Without a doubt, it’s one of the best places to go in January. With temperatures comfortably lounging in the 70s and 80s, it’s a respite from the biting cold, without the crush of peak-season tourists.
January is far from the madding crowds. This means you can soak up the charm of the city’s colorful colonial buildings and meandering cobblestone streets at your leisure. The cost of visiting dips during this month, presenting an opportunity for budget-savvy travelers to explore this Caribbean gem. Flight options are plentiful, with many airlines (such as Spirit and Southwest) offering affordable flights to Puerto Rico in January.
What’s not to miss in San Juan? History lovers will revel in the centuries-old forts of El Morro and San Cristóbal, while beach enthusiasts will find their paradise at Isla Verde. Venturing beyond the city, the enchanting El Yunque National Forest beckons with its lush scenery and cascading waterfalls. The allure of historical sites, the rhythm of salsa echoing through the streets, and the tantalizing flavors of local cuisine promise an unforgettable escape in San Juan.
If you’re searching for a destination that blends tropical ambiance with cultural richness, San Juan ticks all the boxes. Pack your summer clothes and your spirit of adventure. Puerto Rico’s warm embrace is an unbeatable antidote to winter!
Miami is a great pick if you’re looking for cheap places to fly in January. While much of the country shivers, Miami basks in pleasant temperatures ranging from the high 60s to mid-70s. It’s the city’s dry season, which means less rain and more perfect beach days. Plus, with the holiday rush behind, you’ll find more affordable flight options and room rates.
January in Miami is not only about favorable weather and travel deals. It’s a time when the city’s cultural scene shines. The city’s famed Art Deco Weekend takes place mid-month, offering a fascinating dive into its architectural heritage, complete with guided tours, film screenings, and lively street parades. And worry not about overcrowding — the tourist wave typically doesn’t swell until February’s events and festivals.
Aside from the beach and cultural festivities, there are plenty of things to do in Miami. Explore the graffiti art in Wynwood Walls, or indulge in retail therapy at the sprawling Dolphin Mall. Craving nature? The nearby Everglades National Park offers airboat tours through wild, untamed beauty. As the sun sets, the city’s nightlife heats up with Latin rhythms and world-class dining, reflecting its diverse cultural mosaic.
If you’re looking for a warm winter getaway in January with a lively culture, Miami is the place for you. Enjoy sunny beaches and a vibrant arts scene in a city known for its diverse rhythms. With mild weather in January, it’s the perfect time to discover all that Miami has to offer, from exciting streets to adventurous outdoor activities!
Looking to save BIG on airfare? I recommend signing up for the free version of Dollar Flight Club. Thanks to DFC, I’ve saved THOUSANDS of dollars…so I couldn’t recommend it more!
Fancy a northern adventure this January? Set your sights on Toronto! Canada’s sprawling city by Lake Ontario is a hub of cultural richness, iconic sights, and an eclectic culinary scene. Sure, it’s not a tropical escape, but Toronto’s winter brings its own sparkling charm. With the city adorned in snow, you’ll find cozy cafes, vibrant festivals, and more wallet-friendly travel options compared to peak summer months. It’s one of the best places to go in January for a blend of urban excitement and snowy enchantment.
For the most affordable way to reach this diverse metropolis, look no further than Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ). It’s Canada’s largest airport, offering a wide range of flights and competitive prices, especially in January. It’s a top choice for those seeking cheap flights in January.
Once you’re there, the city is your oyster. Dive into history with a visit to the Distillery District. Wander its cobblestone alleys, now lined with art galleries, quirky shops, and cafes, all set in Victorian-era buildings. It’s a perfect spot to warm up with a hot drink or sample some local delicacies.
Crave a dose of culture? The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) is a treasure trove of art, world culture, and natural history. Explore everything from ancient artifacts to stunning geological exhibits like the dazzling 900-carat cerussite gem. For a breath of fresh air, bundle up and head to High Park. Its peaceful, snow-covered landscapes offer a tranquil retreat from the urban hustle.
January in Toronto is a fantastic experience. From the warmth of multicultural hospitality to the beauty of its winter scenery, Toronto is a unique destination that invites exploration.
Seeking an off-the-beaten-path destination this January? San Salvador beckons! El Salvador‘s bustling capital city is rich in history, surrounded by natural beauty, and known for its tasty local food. While it may not be the first city on every traveler’s list, January sees San Salvador basking in pleasant warmth. Temperatures hover around the comfortable 80s — a stark contrast to the winter chills elsewhere.
Your journey to this cultural melting pot doesn’t have to break the bank, especially with cheap flights in January. Touch down at El Salvador International Airport (SAL), the country’s main gateway. Here, affordable fares are common in the post-holiday season.
San Salvador is a city that invites you to immerse yourself in its rich history and vibrant street life. The historic downtown, with its iconic National Palace and Metropolitan Cathedral, offers a glimpse into the country’s complex past. Don’t miss the buzzing Mercado Central, where the air is thick with the aroma of traditional pupusas and the chatter of local vendors.
For a touch of nature, the nearby El Boquerón National Park is a must-visit. Just a short drive from the city center, this park, set atop the San Salvador Volcano, offers stunning views and refreshing hikes. The crater’s sheer size is a humbling sight, a reminder of nature’s awe-inspiring power.
San Salvador in January is an experience brimming with warmth, both in climate and local hospitality. It’s a place where every street has a story to tell, and the echoes of history blend seamlessly with the buzz of modern life. It’s a hidden gem in Central America that promises an unforgettable start to the year!
In the mood for an affordable tropical getaway this January? Put Saint Thomas on your radar! Part of the US Virgin Islands, Saint Thomas is a blend of stunning natural vistas, rich historical sites, and delicious Caribbean cuisine. It’s an ideal escape for those wondering where to fly in January for a post-holiday retreat or a spontaneous adventure to start the year right. For budget-friendly travel, January is a sweet spot. You’ll encounter pleasant weather, fewer tourists, and attractive flight deals, including affordable options to Cyril E. King Airport (STT).
Outdoor enthusiasts will find plenty in Saint Thomas to keep the adrenaline pumping. Fancy some underwater exploration? The island’s crystal-clear waters are perfect for snorkeling or diving among vibrant coral reefs. Prefer to stay dry? Take a scenic hike up to Paradise Point for breathtaking panoramic views of the island and the sparkling Caribbean Sea.
After soaking up the sun, immerse yourself in the island’s culinary delights. Whether you’re in the mood for local specialties like johnnycakes or craving an upscale seafood dinner, Saint Thomas has you covered. And, of course, no visit is complete without trying the world-renowned Cruzan Rum!
While Saint Thomas boasts an array of attractions, its location also offers easy access to the nearby islands of Saint John and Saint Croix. This makes it one of the best January destinations for those who love exploring. Whether you’re lounging on the pristine sands of Magens Bay, exploring historic sites like Blackbeard’s Castle, or island-hopping on a day cruise, Saint Thomas is your gateway to the ultimate Caribbean experience. Ready for a dose of island life? Your tropical adventure awaits!
Next up on our list of the cheapest places to fly in January is Santo Domingo, the capital of the Dominican Republic. This city is rich in colonial history, alive with dynamic street scenes, and surrounded by stunning natural beauty. With its warm January weather, tourists can enjoy the city’s outdoor attractions comfortably, which makes it an appealing winter getaway.
Travelers will appreciate the affordable flight options to Las Américas International Airport (SDQ), especially during January. It’s the perfect time to experience the city’s charm without the peak season crowds, allowing for a more relaxed exploration of its rich heritage.
Santo Domingo, known for its well-preserved colonial architecture, invites visitors to step back in time as they stroll the cobblestone streets of the Zona Colonial. This UNESCO World Heritage site is home to the first cathedral built in the New World, offering a unique glimpse into the city’s storied past.
The allure of Santo Domingo extends beyond history. The city is fringed by picturesque beaches, like Boca Chica, where crystal-clear waters and golden sands provide a tranquil escape. For those seeking more adventure, the lush landscapes of Los Tres Ojos National Park offer a refreshing retreat with its series of limestone caverns and lakes.
A January visit to Santo Domingo means diving into a world of history and natural beauty. This city is a unique choice for travelers seeking an affordable Caribbean adventure, which makes it one of the best places to go in January.
When compiling a list of the cheapest places to fly in January, one might not immediately think of New York City. However, the post-holiday season is a fantastic time to explore the Big Apple on a budget. The city’s usual hustle and bustle slow down a bit, hotel rates drop, and you can find some incredible deals on flights to one of its three major airports: JFK, LaGuardia, or Newark.
Despite the chilly weather, there’s no shortage of things to do in New York City. From ice skating at Bryant Park to winter shows on Broadway, the city is brimming with activities. Art enthusiasts will appreciate the diverse collections at the Metropolitan Museum of Art or the modern exhibits at the MoMA. For those who prefer a quieter experience, a walk in Central Park, especially after a fresh snowfall, is both romantic and peaceful.
Foodies find paradise in New York City’s vast culinary scene. Whether it’s diving into a bowl of ramen in the East Village, grabbing a classic New York slice of pizza, or indulging in a gourmet meal at a Michelin-starred restaurant, the options are endless!
New York City in January offers a unique perspective. The iconic skyline adorned with twinkling lights, the sales in every store window post-holidays, and the serene beauty of snow-covered streets make it one of the best January destinations. It’s a magical experience that combines the joy of winter with the excitement of city life.
Believe it or not, Paris, the famed “City of Lights,” is also a city of fantastic deals in the winter. Known for its romance, art, and world-class food, Paris in January is a secret treasure for budget travelers. The reason? It’s surprisingly affordable to travel there during this month. I even found a return flight from New York to Paris for just $300 with Play, making it a great time for cheap flights to Europe in January.
January in Paris is crisp, with occasional snow adding a magical touch to the landmarks. Picture the Eiffel Tower with a dusting of white or the Louvre’s glass pyramid in a gentle snow glow. With fewer tourists, you get to enjoy these iconic sights more peacefully and face shorter lines at famous attractions like Notre-Dame Cathedral or Sacré-Cœur.
When it comes to food, Paris in winter won’t disappoint. Imagine sipping hot chocolate at a café along the Seine or tucking into a warm, hearty meal in a snug bistro. And for those who love shopping, the winter sales are a dream come true. You’ll find fashion pieces at significantly reduced prices.
Visiting Paris in January lets you see the city through the eyes of a local. The relaxed pace means you can enjoy museums without the rush, wander at leisure along the Left Bank, and connect with the culture. With the added appeal of budget-friendly travel options, Paris shows that the world’s most romantic city can also be a savvy travel choice after the holidays. As one of the cheapest places to go in Europe in January, it’s a no-brainer when planning your winter vacation.
Need more help preparing for your vacation? Here are a few common questions and answers about the cheapest places in January.
If you’re hunting for the cheapest places to fly in January from the US, you’re in luck! January is a fantastic month for snagging travel deals, thanks to post-holiday sales and off-peak travel incentives. Here are some destinations that won’t break the bank:
- San Juan, Puerto Rico: With its beautiful beaches and historic sites, it’s a steal of a deal.
- Miami, Florida: Enjoy the sun and sand in this vibrant city known for its nightlife and beaches.
- Toronto, Canada: Experience diverse culture and food in one of Canada’s largest cities.
- San Salvador, El Salvador: Discover rich history and natural wonders like volcanoes and waterfalls.
- Saint Thomas, US Virgin Islands: Indulge in pristine beaches and duty-free shopping.
- Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic: Explore colonial landmarks and enjoy the Caribbean sun.
- New York City, New York: The city that never sleeps offers endless entertainment.
- Paris, France: Romance, art, and delicious food await in this iconic city.
Yes, flights can be significantly cheaper in January. The month falls within the travel industry’s “dead weeks”. This is the period following the winter holidays and before spring break when there’s a notable dip in travel demand. As a result, airlines often lower their prices to attract customers. This makes it one of the best times to book cheap flights.
Escaping the cold in January is a common desire, and luckily, there are several destinations known for their warmer climates during this month. Whether you’re seeking beachside relaxation or urban exploration, here are some places where the sun continues to shine:
- San Juan, Puerto Rico: Enjoy tropical temperatures and sunny skies.
- Funchal, Madeira: One of the warmest places in Europe in January.
- Saint Thomas, US Virgin Islands: Experience summer in winter with perfect beach weather.
- Bangkok, Thailand: Explore the city’s cultural treasures under the warm sun.
- Cape Town, South Africa: Bask in the warm summer days of the Southern Hemisphere.
- Sydney, Australia: Enjoy the peak of summer down under with plenty of outdoor activities.
Finding cheap January flights requires a mix of planning, research, and a bit of luck. Here are some tips to secure the best deals:
- Start Early: Begin your search early to get a sense of price trends. Airlines often release their tickets 11 months in advance.
- Be Flexible: If you can, be flexible with your travel dates and times. Mid-week flights are often cheaper than weekend flights.
- Use Flight Comparison Sites: Websites like Skyscanner, Kayak, and Google Flights allow you to compare prices across various airlines.
- Set Price Alerts: Most booking sites have options to set alerts for specific routes, so you’re notified when prices drop.
- Check Low-Cost Airlines: Don’t forget to check budget carriers that might not be listed on major booking sites.
- Join Deal Alerts: Subscribe to services like Going (formerly Scott’s Cheap Flights) to get notified about flight deals.
- Consider Nearby Airports: Sometimes flying to a nearby airport can be cheaper, even with the cost of additional transportation.
January is a prime time for snagging fantastic flight deals, especially with US airlines that are eager to fill seats after the busy holiday season. If you’re looking for cheap flights in January, consider checking out these airlines known for offering competitive prices:
- Southwest Airlines: Known for its budget-friendly fares and free checked bags.
- JetBlue: Offers consistently affordable prices along with quality in-flight amenities.
- Spirit Airlines: A no-frills budget airline that’s perfect for cost-conscious travelers.
- Allegiant Air: Operates on a low-cost model and offers cheaper fares in exchange for fewer perks.
- Frontier Airlines: Known for its “Low Fares Done Right” approach, providing basic travel at discounted rates.
Remember, while these airlines may offer lower ticket prices, be sure to check for additional fees for baggage, seat selection, and onboard services.
January is an ideal time to discover cheap flights to Europe. The month sees a lull in travel demand after the holiday hustle, leading airlines to offer attractive fares to entice travelers. To secure the best deals, keep a close eye on flight prices using comparison sites. Flexibility is your friend here — being open to flying on different dates and considering alternative airports can lead to surprising savings. For instance, you might find cheaper options flying into Gatwick rather than Heathrow. Also, while direct flights are more convenient, choosing routes with layovers can significantly cut costs. Don’t forget to explore options with local European carriers like Ryanair and easyJet, which are famous for their budget-friendly fares. A little research and flexibility can reward you with an exciting European adventure at a fraction of the cost!
Is January a cheap month to fly?
Yes, January is generally considered one of the cheaper months to fly, especially when compared to peak holiday travel times in December. Here are some reasons why:
- Post-Holiday Slump: After the rush of the holiday season, there’s a significant drop in travel demand. Many people have just finished traveling for the holidays and are settling back into work or school routines.
- Winter Weather: For many destinations, especially in the Northern Hemisphere, January is a cold month. Unless it’s a popular winter sport destination, the colder weather can deter travelers, leading to lower prices.
- Sales and Promotions: To stimulate demand during this slower period, airlines and hotels often offer sales and promotions in January.
- Flexible Dates: If you’re not tied to specific dates in January, you can often find even better deals by being flexible with your travel dates and taking advantage of the lowest fare options.
- Fewer Tourist Crowds: Popular tourist destinations tend to be less crowded, which can also mean discounts on accommodations, tours, and attractions.
However, there are exceptions:
- New Year’s Travel: Flights and accommodations around New Year’s Day (January 1st) can still be pricey, as it’s a popular time for travel.
- Winter Destinations: Places known for winter sports, like ski resorts, might have higher prices due to the peak ski season.
- Warm Weather Getaways: Destinations that offer a warm escape from the winter cold, like certain tropical locations, might still maintain higher prices.
Where is the cheapest to travel in January?
Traveling in January can offer some budget-friendly destinations, as it’s considered off-peak for many places due to the post-holiday lull and winter weather in the Northern Hemisphere. Here are some destinations that tend to be more affordable in January:
- Southeast Asia: Countries like Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos are in their dry season, offering warm weather and reasonable prices. While they’re popular among backpackers year-round, you can still find good deals in less-touristy areas.
- Central America: Countries like Nicaragua, Guatemala, and El Salvador can be more affordable than their more popular neighbors but still offer beautiful landscapes, beaches, and cultural experiences.
- Eastern Europe: While it’s cold, destinations like Bulgaria, Romania, and Poland have lower prices in winter. You can enjoy winter sports or explore historic cities without the crowds.
- India: Post the peak tourist season of December, places like Goa and Kerala in India can be more affordable in January. The weather is still pleasant, and you can explore the beaches, backwaters, and cultural sites.
- Mexico: While the coastal resort towns might still be in high demand, interior cities like Guadalajara, Mexico City, and Oaxaca can offer cultural experiences at a fraction of the price.
- Portugal: One of Western Europe’s more affordable destinations, Portugal offers mild weather in January, especially in the Algarve region.
- Morocco: January is a cooler month, making it comfortable to explore cities like Marrakech, Fes, and Chefchaouen without the intense heat.
- Baltic States: Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania are chilly in January but offer beautiful winter landscapes, historic cities, and lower prices.
- South Africa: January is one of the warmer months, and while it’s the peak season, it can still be more affordable than many other long-haul destinations.
Is it expensive to travel in January?
Traveling in January can be both expensive and affordable, depending on several factors:
- Destination: The cost can vary significantly based on where you’re headed. For instance, winter sports destinations or tropical getaways might be pricier due to demand. However, many other places see a dip in tourism and might offer lower prices.
- Post-Holiday Period: Right after the New Year celebrations, there’s often a slump in travel demand. This can lead to reduced prices for flights and accommodations in many destinations.
- Weather: January is winter in the Northern Hemisphere, which can deter travelers from visiting certain places, leading to potential discounts. Conversely, destinations offering a warm escape from winter might maintain higher prices.
- Sales & Promotions: To boost demand during this slower period, many airlines, hotels, and tour operators offer special deals and promotions in January.
- Events & Festivals: If there’s a significant event or festival in a particular destination, prices might surge due to increased demand. For instance, places celebrating significant Lunar New Year festivities might see a spike in travel costs.
- School Holidays: In some regions, schools might have a winter break in January, leading to a slight increase in family travel and potentially higher prices.
January marks the start of new adventures, presenting a world of travel opportunities. It’s the ideal month to enjoy the sunshine in San Juan, Puerto Rico, or experience the vibrant atmosphere of Miami, Florida. These destinations promise relaxation and a chance to refresh amidst winter.
City lovers aren’t left out, with the winter charm of Toronto and the ceaseless energy of New York City offering unique experiences. And for a touch of romance or adventure, Paris, France, awaits with its timeless beauty, even in the colder months.
For those in pursuit of warmth, Santo Domingo and Saint Thomas stand out. These locales offer sunny escapes, perfect for evading the winter chill. And with the availability of cheap flights in January, these dreamy getaways are surprisingly accessible.
January opens a door to exploration, discovery, and travel. With budget-friendly destinations just a flight away, there’s no better time to set out on a journey that will inspire stories for the rest of the year. Here’s to new horizons and memorable journeys!