Are you thinking about visiting North Conway in North Hampshire this year? Here are some of the most fun and unique things to do in North Conway. These picturesque sights, activities, and attractions are sure to make for an unforgettable vacation experience.
In North Conway—a beautiful town nestled in the heart of the White Mountains where there are countless things to do. Imagine waking up to the scent of pine trees, the sound of chirping birds, and the sight of mist-covered mountains. This quaint New England town is more than just a pretty face; it’s an adventurer’s paradise and a nature lover’s dream come true.
From the thrill of conquering rugged hiking trails to the serenity of kayaking on crystal-clear lakes, North Conway offers an escape that’s as versatile as it is unforgettable. And let’s not forget the winter season, where the town transforms into a snowy wonderland, perfect for skiing, snowboarding, and sipping hot cocoa by the fire.
But it’s not just the great outdoors that beckon. North Conway is also a haven for shoppers, foodies, and history buffs. Picture yourself strolling through charming boutiques, savoring farm-to-table delicacies, and stepping back in time at local museums. It’s a place where every turn is a new discovery, and every moment is a chance to feel alive.
So, if you’re yearning for a destination that offers both adrenaline-pumping activities and soul-soothing experiences, look no further. Hit the road and get ready to uncover the magic that is North Conway. Here’s everything you need to know about these fun things to do in North Conway, NH.
Ready to jump into all the coolest things to do in North Conway? As noted above, there’s something for everyone at this enchanting vacation spot in the US. So keep reading to discover all these unique North Conway places to visit.
Are you looking to go hiking and biking in the scenic White Mountains, and go skiing and snowboarding in the winter? Or would you prefer exploring charming shops, cozy restaurants, and cultural attractions? Whatever you’re planning, these must-sees in North Conway can accommodate your needs. Here’s all the best attractions in North Conway that you should know about.
If you’re looking for the unique things to do in North Conway, then you can’t miss the Mount Washington Auto Road. Imagine driving up a winding road, your car climbing higher and higher, as you’re surrounded by the breathtaking beauty of the White Mountains. This isn’t just any drive; it’s a journey to the highest peak in the Northeastern United States.
The experience is surreal. One moment you’re passing through lush forests, and the next, you’re above the tree line, greeted by panoramic vistas that stretch as far as the eye can see. And let’s talk about those sunsets—pure magic, painting the sky in shades of pink, orange, and gold.
But what makes this drive truly special is its history. Opened in 1861, the Auto Road is steeped in tradition, offering a glimpse into the past as you ascend towards the heavens. Along the way, you’ll find informative markers and viewpoints, perfect for those Instagram-worthy snaps.
Whether you’re a seasoned road-tripper or someone who just loves a good view, the Mount Washington Auto Road is a must-see in North Conway, NH. So, rev up that engine, and let the adventure begin!
Ah, Diana’s Baths. Thinking about where to go in North Conway that’s truly relaxing? This natural wonder is a must-visit. Imagine stepping into a world where cascading waterfalls meet tranquil pools, all set against the backdrop of New Hampshire’s stunning White Mountains. It’s like Mother Nature’s own spa retreat, and it’s calling your name.
The hike to get there is a breeze—just a short 0.6-mile trail that’s as scenic as it is accessible. Once you arrive, you’ll be greeted by the soothing sounds of water tumbling over ancient rock formations. It’s the kind of place that makes you forget about your phone, your to-do list, and the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
Dip your toes in the water, and you’ll feel the stress melt away. Better yet, find a secluded spot and let the natural whirlpools massage your worries into oblivion. It’s therapeutic and invigorating.
So, if you’re looking to unwind and reconnect with nature, Diana’s Baths is where you’ll want to be. Trust me, your Instagram followers will thank you later.
Searching for the coolest things to do in North Conway? Look no further than Cranmore Mountain Resort. This isn’t just a winter wonderland; it’s a four-season playground that offers something for everyone. In the colder months, the mountain transforms into a skier’s paradise, boasting 57 trails and 5 lifts. But don’t worry if you’re not a snow bunny; there’s also tubing, snowshoeing, and even a mountain coaster.
When the snow melts, the adventure doesn’t stop. The resort morphs into an outdoor haven for zip-lining, mountain biking, and scenic chairlift rides. Ever tried aerial adventure courses? Well, Cranmore has them, and they’re as exhilarating as they sound.
One of the best places to go in North Conway, this resort also offers summer camps for kids and various events throughout the year, like the popular Arts Jubilee concert series. It’s a hub of activity, no matter the season.
Are you an adrenaline junkie or someone who just loves to soak in mountain views? Cranmore Mountain Resort is a must-see. It’s more than just a mountain; it’s a community, a lifestyle, and one of the unique places in North Conway that you’ll want to visit again and again.
Ah, the romance of train travel! If you’re wondering what to do in North Conway, the Conway Scenic Railroad is a must-see. This isn’t just a train ride; it’s a journey back in time, offering an exceptional perspective of the White Mountains and the Saco River. The vintage rail cars and the historic station, built in 1874, add an extra layer of charm to the experience.
The railroad offers different routes, each with its own allure. The Valley Train is perfect for families, featuring a shorter ride and interactive storytelling for the kids. For a more extended, scenic experience, the Notch Train is your ticket. It takes you through Crawford Notch, showcasing steep ravines, cascading brooks, and panoramic mountain vistas.
What makes this stand out among the other North Conway attractions is the dining experience. Yes, you read that right—dining on a train! Opt for the elegant dining car and enjoy a meal as you chug along, taking in the breathtaking scenery.
Keen on mixing nostalgia with natural beauty? The Conway Scenic Railroad is one of those cool destinations in North Conway you shouldn’t miss. It’s not just a train ride; it’s an experience that will make your North Conway trip unforgettable.
Are you on the hunt for the best things to do in North Conway? You can’t overlook a visit to the Kancamagus Highway. This 34.5-mile stretch of road is more than just asphalt; it’s a gateway to the soul of the White Mountains. As you drive along, you’ll be greeted by an ever-changing tapestry of lush forests, rippling rivers, and majestic peaks.
The highway is a haven for photographers, offering numerous overlooks and pull-offs where you can capture the landscape’s grandeur. Don’t miss the Sabbaday Falls, a three-tiered waterfall that’s just a short hike from the road. It’s the perfect spot for a picnic or a moment of reflection.
In the fall, the foliage turns into a riot of colors, making it one of the most photographed places in New Hampshire. In the winter, the snow-covered trees and mountains create a serene, almost magical atmosphere.
So, whether you’re an avid photographer, a nature lover, or someone looking to escape the hustle and bustle, the Kancamagus Highway offers a scenic and soulful experience that’s hard to match. It’s not just a drive; it’s a journey through New Hampshire’s natural splendor.
Echo Lake State Park is one of those must-see in North Conway that you simply can’t afford to miss. Located at the base of White Horse Ledge, this park is a sanctuary for outdoor enthusiasts. Whether you’re into hiking, swimming, or just lounging by the lake, there’s something for everyone here.
The lake itself is a shimmering gem, perfect for kayaking or paddleboarding. Families often spend the day here, picnicking by the water’s edge and taking in the stunning views. And speaking of views, the hiking trails around the lake offer some of the most breathtaking vistas you’ll find anywhere in New Hampshire.
For the more adventurous, the park is home to several rock-climbing routes on White Horse Ledge. If you’re new to the sport, there are guided climbs available, making it one of the coolest activities in North Conway for those looking to try something new.
As the sun sets, the park transforms into a tranquil haven. The golden hour light reflecting off the lake is a sight to behold, making it a popular spot for photographers and romantics alike. It’s not just a park; it’s a place where memories are made, a must-visit if you’re in the area.
Curious about North Conway things to do especially with kids in tow? Story Land is your go-to destination. This whimsical amusement park is a treasure trove of childhood fantasies, bringing to life the stories and characters we all hold dear.
Imagine sailing on a pirate ship, meeting Cinderella, or taking a mini roller coaster ride through the world of the Three Little Pigs. The park is designed to enchant visitors of all ages but holds a special magic for the little ones. It’s not just an amusement park; it’s a realm where fairy tales leap off the pages and into reality.
If you love a good thrill, the park also offers rides like the “Roar-O-Saurus,” a wooden roller coaster that promises to get your heart racing. And if you’re looking to cool off, the “Dr. Geyser’s Remarkable Raft Ride” is a splashy adventure you won’t want to miss.
As you wander through the park, you’ll also discover live shows, interactive play areas, and themed restaurants that make the experience complete. North Conway places to visit rarely offer such a blend of nostalgia and excitement. So, if you’re in the area, Story Land is a must-see, a place where memories are just waiting to be made.
Ah, the great outdoors! If you’re planning about what to do in North Conway, the White Mountain National Forest is your answer. This sprawling natural wonderland is a playground for adventurers, offering everything from hiking and mountain biking to camping and fishing.
The forest is home to some of New Hampshire’s most iconic peaks, including Mount Washington, the highest point in the northeastern United States. While you can’t drive up Mount Washington from here, you can certainly hike, capturing breathtaking vistas along the way.
If water-based activities are preferred, the Saco River runs through the forest, providing ample opportunities for kayaking, canoeing, and even some light rapids for the more adventurous. Wildlife enthusiasts will also find their slice of heaven here, with the chance to spot moose, black bears, and a variety of bird species.
North Conway attractions don’t get more versatile than this. Whether you’re a seasoned hiker or someone who simply enjoys the tranquility of nature, the White Mountain National Forest offers an escape like no other. It’s not just a forest; it’s a sanctuary where you can disconnect from the hustle and bustle and reconnect with Mother Earth. Is this forest among the top things to do in North Conway, NH? You bet!
Are you a shopaholic? Then Settlers Green is your dream come true. Nestled amidst the scenic backdrop of North Conway, this shopping oasis offers more than just retail therapy. It’s one of the North Conway things to do where you can combine the joys of shopping with the beauty of nature.
The complex features over 60 outlet stores, from high-end brands like Coach and Michael Kors to outdoor gear shops like Columbia and Timberland. But here’s the kicker: the entire shopping area is designed like a quaint New England village, complete with cobblestone walkways and charming gazebos.
Feeling hungry? No worries. Settlers Green also boasts a variety of dining options, from quick bites to sit-down restaurants. And if you’re traveling with kids, they’ll love the playground and the seasonal events that often take place here, including live music and festivals.
Thinking about the coolest activities in North Conway? Well, shopping might not be an “activity” in the traditional sense, but when it’s set against the backdrop of the White Mountains, it’s an experience you won’t want to miss. So, whether you’re looking for the latest fashion trends or just want to enjoy a day out in a beautiful setting, Settlers Green has got you covered.
If you’re yearning for a hiking experience that offers panoramic views without a day-long commitment, then Black Cap Hiking Trail is your go-to spot. This is one of those best places in North Conway where you can feel on top of the world in just a couple of hours.
The trail is a moderate 2.4-mile round trip, making it accessible for hikers of all levels. As you ascend, you’ll pass through a lush forest, eventually breaking out into an open area that offers jaw-dropping views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. Trust me, the Instagram opportunities are endless here.
It’s not just a summer destination; the trail is equally enchanting in the winter for those who enjoy snowshoeing. And let’s not forget about the wildlife. From chirping birds to the occasional deer, nature is your constant companion on this hike.
For those who love the game of golf, a visit to the North Conway Country Club is among the best things to do in North Conway., NH Situated amidst the stunning backdrop of the White Mountains, this golf course offers a unique blend of challenging gameplay and breathtaking scenery.
Imagine teeing off with the mountains as your backdrop, the crisp air filling your lungs. It’s not just about the game here; it’s about the whole experience. The course is meticulously maintained, ensuring that each hole offers its own set of challenges and rewards. And for those who are new to the sport, the club offers lessons from seasoned pros.
But wait, there’s more! The country club isn’t just a summer destination. In the winter, the grounds transform into a snowy wonderland perfect for cross-country skiing. If you’re looking for cool destinations in North Conway, this place should be high on your list.
If you’re thinking about where to visit in North Conway that combines sport, scenery, and sophistication? This country club is the answer. You won’t regret it.
The joy of discovering local brews when you’re exploring new places! If you’re a fan of craft beer, then Tuckerman Brewing Company is a destination you simply can’t miss. Situated just a short drive from the heart of North Conway, this brewery offers a delightful array of handcrafted beers that capture the essence of the region.
From hoppy IPAs to smooth stouts, there’s something here for every palate. The brewery offers tours where you can learn about the brewing process, from grain to glass. It’s not just educational; it’s downright fascinating! And let’s not forget the tasting room, where you can sample their latest creations.
But what sets Tuckerman apart is its commitment to sustainability. They source local ingredients whenever possible and even use solar energy to power their operations. It’s a place where you can enjoy a cold one and feel good about it too.
Whether you’re a craft beer connoisseur or a casual sipper, Tuckerman Brewing Company offers an experience that’s both flavorful and fulfilling.
Looking for more content on the top things to do in North Conway? Here are some popular questions (and answers) I get that will help you plan your trip to North Conway:
Absolutely! North Conway is a four-season wonderland. Whether you’re looking to hit the ski slopes in winter or explore the lush hiking trails in summer, there’s always something to do. The fall foliage is a spectacle you don’t want to miss, and spring brings a burst of color to the landscape.
To reach North Conway, you can typically fly into Manchester-Boston Regional Airport (MHT) or Portland International Jetport (PWM), both approximately 2 to 2.5 hours away by car. From there, you can rent a car or take a bus to North Conway, NH. Alternatively, Amtrak’s Downeaster train services Portland, Maine, which is closer, and you can complete the journey by bus or taxi.
What is North Conway best known for?
North Conway, located in New Hampshire’s White Mountains, is best known for several attractions and activities:
- Outdoor Recreation: Given its location in the White Mountains, North Conway is a hub for outdoor activities. Depending on the season, it’s popular for hiking, skiing, snowboarding, rock climbing, and more.
- Scenic Beauty: The surrounding White Mountains, especially during the fall foliage season, offer breathtaking views. The Kancamagus Highway, often referred to as “The Kanc,” is a scenic drive renowned for its autumn colors and panoramic mountain vistas.
- Shopping: North Conway is particularly known for the Settlers Green Outlet Village, which attracts shoppers with its variety of brand-name stores offering discounted prices.
- Conway Scenic Railroad: This historic railroad is a significant attraction, offering scenic rides through the picturesque landscapes of the White Mountains. The train rides provide a unique perspective of the region’s beauty.
- Proximity to Mount Washington: North Conway is a gateway to Mount Washington, the highest peak in the northeastern U.S. The mountain is famous for its extreme weather conditions and is a popular destination for both tourists and researchers.
- Family-Friendly Attractions: North Conway is home to Story Land, a beloved amusement park themed around fairy tales, making it a favorite destination for families.
- Skiing and Winter Sports: The region boasts several ski resorts, with Cranmore Mountain Resort being one of the most popular in the area.
- Dining and Accommodations: The town offers a range of dining options and accommodations, from cozy bed and breakfasts to larger hotels and resorts, catering to the influx of tourists year-round.
From the natural beauty of Echo Lake State Park to the whimsical charm of Story Land, North Conway offers a diverse range of attractions. Don’t forget to check out the local breweries and shopping spots like Settlers Green.
How do you spend a weekend in North Conway?
Spending a weekend in North Conway offers a delightful mix of outdoor activities, shopping, and relaxation amidst the scenic backdrop of New Hampshire’s White Mountains. Here’s a suggested itinerary for a memorable weekend:
Day 1 in North Conway, NH: Explore the Outdoors and Downtown
- Breakfast: Start your day with breakfast at one of the local cafes or bakeries in downtown North Conway.
- Hiking: Head out for a morning hike. The White Mountains offer trails for all levels. Diana’s Baths is a relatively easy hike leading to a series of small waterfalls and pools, perfect for a refreshing dip.
- Lunch: Return to downtown North Conway and grab lunch at one of the local eateries.
- Shopping: Spend your afternoon exploring the shops in North Conway, especially the Settlers Green Outlet Village for some discounted brand-name shopping.
- Conway Scenic Railroad: Take a scenic train ride through the White Mountains, enjoying the picturesque views.
- Dinner: Choose from a variety of restaurants in North Conway, ranging from casual to upscale.
- Entertainment: Check out local theaters or events happening in town. The M&D Playhouse often has plays or musicals.
Day 2 in North Conway: Adventure and Relaxation
- Breakfast: Enjoy breakfast at your accommodation or a local cafe.
- Skiing/Winter Sports (Seasonal): If visiting in winter, head to Cranmore Mountain Resort or any nearby ski area for some skiing or snowboarding.
- Water Activities (Seasonal): In warmer months, consider kayaking or tubing on the Saco River.
- Lunch: Refuel with a hearty lunch in town.
- Drive the Kancamagus Highway: Known as “The Kanc,” this scenic drive offers breathtaking views, especially during the fall foliage season. There are several pull-offs and short trails along the way.
- Relaxation: If you’re looking for a more relaxed afternoon, consider visiting one of the local spas or wellness centers.
- Dinner: Have a memorable dinner at one of North Conway’s fine dining establishments.
- Stargazing: If the weather permits, the clear skies of the White Mountains offer a fantastic opportunity for stargazing.
- Visit Story Land if traveling with kids.
- Explore Echo Lake State Park for a serene setting and beautiful views.
- Take a trip to Mount Washington, either by car or the cog railway, for panoramic vistas.
You bet! North Conway is highly family-friendly. Its natural beauty and outdoor activities cater to all ages, with opportunities for hiking, skiing, and scenic train rides. Family-oriented attractions like Story Land and Santa’s Village are nearby, and the town offers a welcoming atmosphere for visitors of all backgrounds.
Is North Conway worth visiting?
Absolutely! North Conway, located in New Hampshire’s White Mountains, is a popular destination known for its scenic beauty, outdoor activities, and charming downtown. Here are some reasons why North Conway is worth a visit:
- Outdoor Activities: North Conway is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts. Depending on the season, visitors can enjoy hiking, skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, rock climbing, and more. The nearby White Mountain National Forest offers numerous trails for all levels.
- Scenic Beauty: The White Mountains provide a stunning backdrop, especially during the fall foliage season when the landscape is ablaze with colors. The Kancamagus Highway, often referred to as “The Kanc,” is renowned for its breathtaking views and is especially popular in the autumn.
- Shopping: North Conway is known for its shopping, particularly the Settlers Green Outlet Village, which offers a variety of brand-name stores at discounted prices.
- Conway Scenic Railroad: This historic railroad offers scenic rides through the White Mountains, with options ranging from valley trains to mountain excursions.
- Family Attractions: Families can enjoy attractions like Story Land, a popular amusement park themed around fairy tales, and the Mount Washington Observatory Weather Discovery Center.
- Dining and Accommodation: North Conway boasts a range of dining options, from quaint cafes to upscale restaurants. Accommodations vary from charming bed and breakfasts to larger resorts.
- Cultural Attractions: The area has several theaters, including the M&D Playhouse and the Eastern Slope Playhouse, offering plays, musicals, and other performances.
- Proximity to Mount Washington: The highest peak in the northeastern U.S., Mount Washington is known for its extreme weather conditions and panoramic views. The Mount Washington Auto Road allows visitors to drive (or be driven) to the summit during the warmer months, while the Mount Washington Cog Railway offers a unique way to ascend the mountain.
Is it expensive in North Conway?
North Conway can be moderately priced, offering a range of accommodation, dining, and shopping options to fit various budgets. While some upscale choices are available, there are also affordable alternatives, making it possible to enjoy the area without breaking the bank. Costs may vary depending on the season and activities chosen.
And there you have it, folks! A comprehensive guide to the coolest activities in North Conway. This charming New England destination is more than just a pretty face; it’s a hub of adventure, culture, and natural beauty. Whether you’re an outdoor enthusiast, a shopaholic, or someone who just wants to soak in the scenery, North Conway has something special for you.
So, what are you waiting for? Pack your bags, hit the road, and discover all the unique things to do in North Conway, NH. Trust us, it’s a trip you won’t regret!