Are you looking to visit Kennebunkport, Maine in the near future? Here are some of the most fun and unique things to do in Kennebunkport. These quaint sights, activities, and attractions are sure to make for a memorable vacation experience.
Kennebunkport – Just the name alone conjures images of salty sea air, charming coastal homes, and the kind of tranquility you can only find in a New England haven. Nestled along Maine’s rocky coastline, this idyllic town is the epitome of a maritime escape. It’s where the Atlantic Ocean kisses the shore, and where time seems to slow down just enough for you to savor every moment, including all the wonderful things to do in Kennebunkport.
From the moment you arrive, you’ll feel the magnetic pull of the ocean, urging you to explore the beaches, harbors, and lighthouses that dot the landscape. But don’t be fooled; Kennebunkport is not just a summer fling. Oh no, this town has layers, my friends. From the rich history that whispers through its colonial architecture to the culinary delights that await in its quaint restaurants, there’s a depth here that captivates all who visit.
Whether you’re an adventure seeker looking to conquer the waves, a history enthusiast eager to delve into New England’s storied past, or simply someone in need of a little R&R, Kennebunkport has something for everyone. So, pack your bags and your sense of wonder, because we’re about to embark on an unforgettable journey through one of Maine’s most cherished gems. Here’s everything you need to know about these fun things to do in Kennebunkport.
Ready to jump into all the coolest things to do in Kennebunkport? As noted above, there’s something for everyone at this East Coast vacation spot. So keep reading to discover all these unique Kennebunkport places to visit.
Are you looking to go strolling along sandy beaches and indulge in delectable seafood dining? Or would you prefer enjoying outdoor pursuits like kayaking, exploring nature trails, and partaking in quaint shopping? Whatever you’re planning, these must-sees in Kennebunkport can accommodate your needs. Here’s all the best attractions in Kennebunkport that you should know about.
Dock Square, the pulsating heart of Kennebunkport. Imagine cobblestone streets lined with boutique shops, art galleries, and eateries that serve the freshest seafood you’ve ever tasted. Dock Square is more than just a place; it’s an experience that encapsulates the spirit of this coastal town in Maine.
You’ll find yourself lost in the labyrinth of unique stores, each offering something special. From handcrafted Maine souvenirs to high-end fashion, the shopping scene here is nothing short of eclectic. And let’s not forget the gastronomic delights that await. Whether it’s a lobster roll from a local food truck or a fine dining experience with ocean views, your taste buds are in for a treat.
Thinking of an exciting thing to do in Kennebunkport? Start your journey at Dock Square. It’s the perfect introduction to the town’s vibrant culture and laid-back lifestyle. As the sun sets, the square comes alive with live music, street performers, and a palpable sense of community. It’s the kind of place that makes you feel like a local, even if you’re just passing through. Is this among the top things to do in Kennebunkport, Maine? You bet!
Ah, the allure of the ocean! Goose Rocks Beach beckons with its soft, powdery sand and gentle waves. This is a sanctuary where the Atlantic whispers sweet nothings to your soul.
Craving a serene escape? Look no further. Goose Rocks Beach offers a tranquil setting that’s perfect for sunbathing, reading, or simply contemplating life. The beach stretches for three miles, giving you ample space to find your own secluded spot.
Wondering about the best things to do in Kennebunkport? Well, if you’re a fan of coastal beauty, a visit to this beach should be at the top of your list. The views are nothing short of breathtaking, especially during sunrise and sunset. And for the birdwatchers among you, the nearby Timber Island is a haven for various species.
Children building sandcastles, couples walking hand-in-hand, and the occasional kayaker slicing through the waves—there’s a picturesque scene at every turn.
If you’re yearning for a taste of authentic Maine, Cape Porpoise Harbor is where you’ll find it. This isn’t just a harbor; it’s a living postcard of New England charm. Fishing boats bob in the water, lobster traps are stacked on the docks, and the air is tinged with the scent of the sea.
Curious about what to do in Kennebunkport if you’re a seafood aficionado? Cape Porpoise Harbor is your answer. The harbor is a bustling hub for local fishermen, and that means one thing: incredibly fresh seafood. From clams to lobsters, the catch of the day couldn’t get any fresher.
The harbor is surrounded by a smattering of small shops and eateries that ooze local flavor. Grab a lobster roll from one of the food trucks or settle in at a café to watch the boats come and go.
The nearby Goat Island Lighthouse adds a touch of historical allure to the area. Accessible by a short boat ride, the lighthouse offers panoramic views that make it a photographer’s paradise.
Kennebunkport River Walk is more than just a pathway; it’s a journey through the very soul of this charming town. Picture this: you’re walking alongside the Kennebunk River, the sun is setting, and the sky is painted with hues of orange and pink.
The River Walk is a haven for casual strollers and avid photographers alike. The wooden boardwalk is lined with benches, perfect for taking a moment to soak in the serene views. And if you’re into bird-watching, bring your binoculars; the area is teeming with local bird species.
Now, if you’re wondering where to go in Kennebunkport for a romantic evening, this is it. The River Walk is beautifully lit at night, making it an ideal spot for a moonlit walk. The ambiance is nothing short of magical, with the soft glow of the lights reflecting off the water.
Local art installations along the path add a creative flair to your walk. These pieces, often made by community artists, give you a glimpse into the town’s vibrant arts scene. It’s one of those unique things to do in Kennebunkport that combines natural beauty with local culture.
Imagine stepping into a vintage trolley, the wood creaking beneath your feet, and being transported to a bygone era. That’s exactly what awaits you at the Seashore Trolley Museum. This is a living, breathing testament to the history of public transportation in America.
As you wander through the extensive collection of restored trolleys, buses, and subway cars, you’ll feel like you’ve stepped into a time capsule. It’s one of those Kennebunkport attractions that both history buffs and families will adore. Interactive exhibits make the experience engaging for all ages, allowing you to not only see but also touch and even ride some of the vintage vehicles.
Wondering about Kennebunkport things to do if you’re a fan of history, you ask? Well, this museum offers guided tours that delve deep into the evolution of public transit, from horse-drawn carriages to electric trolleys. You’ll leave with a newfound appreciation for how far we’ve come in terms of mobility and technology.
The museum also hosts seasonal events, including haunted trolley rides during Halloween and festive lights during the holiday season. It’s a dynamic space that offers something new with each visit, making it a must-see in Kennebunkport for anyone keen on history or simply looking for an exceptional outing.
Craving the serenity of nature? Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge is your sanctuary. This sprawling reserve is a tribute to the famed marine biologist and conservationist Rachel Carson, and it’s easy to see why. The refuge is a mosaic of salt marshes, coastal forests, and tidal estuaries that serve as a haven for a variety of wildlife.
If you’re planning where to visit in Kennebunkport for a peaceful retreat, this is it. The refuge offers several walking trails that meander through its diverse ecosystems. Each trail offers its own distinct experience, from birdwatching opportunities to breathtaking views of the salt marshes.
But it’s not just about the scenery. The refuge is also a vital habitat for many species of birds, mammals, and fish. As you walk, keep your eyes peeled for the elusive New England cottontail or the majestic osprey soaring overhead. It’s a living, breathing natural museum, and every visit feels like a new discovery.
Whether you’re an avid birder, a nature photographer, or simply someone who appreciates the great outdoors, exploring the Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge is among the coolest things to do in Kennebunkport. It’s a place where you can disconnect from the hustle and bustle and reconnect with nature.
Biddeford Pool is the epitome of coastal charm, a tucked-away treasure that’s perfect for those seeking a quieter beach experience. This tidal pool is surrounded by a barrier beach, creating a natural sanctuary for both wildlife and visitors alike. If you’re in search of unique places in Kennebunkport, look no further.
The area is a haven for birdwatchers, with various species making their home here. From the melodious calls of the piping plover to the graceful flight of the osprey, nature’s symphony is in full swing. And let’s not forget the water activities. Kayaking, paddleboarding, and even clam digging offer endless hours of fun and exploration.
For those who love history, the nearby Wood Island Lighthouse is a must-see. Accessible by boat, this historic lighthouse offers panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean and the surrounding landscape. It’s an Instagram-worthy spot that you won’t want to miss.
Biddeford Pool is more than just a beach; it’s a community. The local shops and eateries add a quaint, small-town feel that’s hard to resist. Whether you’re a nature enthusiast, a history buff, or someone who simply loves the ocean, Biddeford Pool is one of the best places to go in Kennebunkport for an authentic Maine experience.
Are you a fan of the performing arts? The Arundel Barn Playhouse is your ticket to a night of entertainment. This charming theater, located just a short drive from Kennebunkport, offers a diverse lineup of shows that range from musicals to comedies. Curious about the Kennebunkport things to do on a rainy day, you ask? Well, this is your answer.
The Playhouse itself is a converted barn, giving it a rustic yet intimate atmosphere that’s perfect for enjoying a show. The acoustics are fantastic, and there’s not a bad seat in the house. You’ll feel like you’re part of the performance, not just a spectator.
The Playhouse is deeply rooted in the community, often featuring local talent and hosting educational programs for kids. It’s a cultural hub that brings people together.
Now let’s talk about the refreshments. The Playhouse offers a selection of local wines and craft beers, perfect for sipping as you enjoy the show. It’s a complete experience, from the moment you walk through the door to the final curtain call.
Looking for a night out that offers more than just dinner and a movie? The Arundel Barn Playhouse is among the Kennebunkport places to visit that you should consider. It’s a place where the arts come alive, and you won’t want to miss it.
Craft beer enthusiasts, rejoice! Kennebunkport Brewing Company is your haven for sipping on local brews while soaking in the laid-back atmosphere. Situated in a historic building, this brewery is more than just a place to grab a cold one; it’s among the cool destinations in Kennebunkport you won’t want to miss.
The moment you step inside, you’re greeted by the rich aroma of hops and malt. The wooden interiors and vintage décor add a touch of nostalgia, making you feel like you’ve traveled back in time. But let’s get to the good stuff—the beer. With a rotating selection of seasonal and year-round offerings, there’s always something new to try.
What sets this brewery apart is its commitment to quality and community. They source local ingredients whenever possible and even offer brewery tours where you can learn about the beer-making process. It’s not just about drinking; it’s about appreciating the craft and the people behind it.
For a casual evening, this brewery tops the list. Whether you’re a beer aficionado or a casual sipper, Kennebunkport Brewing Company provides an experience that’s both educational and enjoyable.
So, if you’re in the mood for a pint and some good company, make sure to add this brewery to your Kennebunkport itinerary. Cheers!
If you’ve ever dreamed of reeling in a big one, Wicked Tuna Fishing Charters is the place to make that dream a reality. This isn’t just a fishing trip; it’s an adventure that’ll have you talking for years to come.
As you board the state-of-the-art fishing vessel, the excitement is palpable. The crew, seasoned in the art of deep-sea fishing, welcomes you with open arms and a wealth of knowledge. They’ll equip you with top-notch fishing gear and even offer tips and tricks to make your fishing experience unforgettable.
The ocean around Kennebunkport is teeming with a variety of fish, from tuna to mackerel. As the boat sails into the deep blue, you’ll feel a sense of anticipation. And then it happens—the tug on the line, the adrenaline rush, and the thrill of the catch.
Looking for the coolest activities in Kennebunkport? This one’s a contender. Whether you’re an experienced angler or a first-timer, Wicked Tuna Fishing Charters offers an exhilarating day out on the water. And the exciting part? You get to take home your catch of the day, making for a tasty end to an action-packed outing.
Want to add a dash of adventure to your Kennebunkport trip? This fishing charter is a must-see in Kennebunkport. Ready to cast your line?
Imagine you’re cruising down a scenic road, windows down, the salty sea breeze tousling your hair. Welcome to Ocean Avenue, one of the best places in Kennebunkport to experience the town’s coastal charm. This is more than just a drive; it’s a journey through the heart of what makes Kennebunkport so special.
As you navigate the winding road, you’ll pass by jaw-dropping mansions, historic landmarks, and viewpoints that demand you pull over for a photo. Each twist and turn offers a new vista, whether it’s the sun setting over the ocean or a lighthouse standing tall against the sky.
Curious about the unique things to do in Kennebunkport if you’re a fan of scenic drives? Don’t miss this. Ocean Avenue is a tapestry of the town’s history, nature, and architecture. You’ll find spots to park and take in the view, trails that lead to secluded beaches, and even a few local shops where you can grab a keepsake.
For those who love the freedom of the open road and the allure of the sea, Ocean Avenue is a must-visit in Kennebunkport. It’s a drive you’ll want to take more than once, and each time, you’ll discover something new.
Step into a world of timeless elegance at The Colony Hotel. This isn’t just a place to rest your head; it’s an experience that transports you to a bygone era, yet with all the modern comforts. Imagine waking up to the sound of waves crashing against the shore, pulling back the curtains to reveal a panoramic ocean view.
Kennebunkport attractions often boast of their natural beauty, but The Colony Hotel adds a dash of vintage charm to the mix. The hotel’s architecture is a blend of classic New England and 1920s grandeur, making it a perfect spot to soak in both history and scenery.
You might be wondering, what to do in Kennebunkport if you’re staying at The Colony? Well, the hotel itself offers a range of activities. From yoga classes on the lawn to cocktail hours at sunset, there’s never a dull moment. And let’s not forget the hotel’s private beach—your own slice of paradise.
Dining here is another level of extraordinary. The on-site restaurant serves up local seafood so fresh, you’d think they fished it out of the ocean just for you. And as the day winds down, nothing beats watching the sunset from the hotel’s iconic wraparound porch.
In a town brimming with coastal allure, The Colony Hotel stands out as a must-visit. It’s more than a stay; it’s a story waiting to be written.
Looking for more content on the top things to do in Kennebunkport? Here are some popular questions (and answers) I get that will help you plan your trip to Kennebunkport:
The best time to visit Kennebunkport is during the summer and early fall, typically from June to September. These months offer the warmest weather, making it ideal for beach activities and outdoor exploration. Fall brings beautiful foliage, while the quieter spring and winter seasons offer unique charm and fewer crowds.
Getting around Kennebunkport is relatively easy. Most visitors opt for walking or biking to explore the town and nearby attractions. Trolley services and local taxis are available for convenience. To explore the coastal area, consider renting a kayak or taking a boat tour, providing unique perspectives of this charming coastal town.
Absolutely! Kennebunkport is a family-friendly destination. It offers a range of activities suitable for all ages, including beachcombing, kayaking, and family-friendly dining options. The town’s quaint atmosphere and coastal beauty create a welcoming environment for families looking to enjoy a relaxing and memorable vacation together.
Kennebunkport boasts several must-see attractions, including the iconic Bush Family Compound, the scenic Cape Porpoise Harbor, and the charming Dock Square. Visitors should also explore the beautiful beaches like Goose Rocks Beach and take a stroll along Ocean Avenue to admire the coastal views and historic homes that define the town’s character.
Absolutely, Kennebunkport is a must-visit gem on the Maine coastline. It offers a perfect blend of natural beauty, historical charm, and vibrant local culture. Whether you’re into beach lounging, gourmet dining, or outdoor adventures, there’s something for everyone. It’s the kind of place that captures your heart and keeps you coming back.
The best place to catch a breathtaking sunset in Kennebunkport has to be Goose Rocks Beach. With its expansive shoreline and unobstructed views of the horizon, it’s a dreamy setting for sunset chasers. The sky turns into a canvas of oranges and pinks, creating a magical end to your day.
Is Kennebunkport romantic?
Yes, Kennebunkport, Maine, is often considered a romantic destination on the east coast. Nestled along the rocky coast of southern Maine, Kennebunkport offers a blend of picturesque landscapes, historic charm, and coastal allure that makes it a favorite among couples. Here are some reasons why Kennebunkport is seen as a romantic getaway:
- Scenic Beauty: The town’s coastal setting, with its rugged coastline, sandy beaches, and serene harbors, provides a beautiful backdrop for romantic strolls and sunset views.
- Charming Accommodations: Kennebunkport is home to a variety of cozy bed and breakfasts, historic inns, and luxury resorts, many of which offer romantic packages for couples.
- Dining: The town boasts a range of dining options, from quaint cafes to upscale restaurants, many of which offer fresh seafood and ocean views.
- Shopping: Dock Square, the heart of Kennebunkport, is lined with unique boutiques, art galleries, and specialty shops, perfect for leisurely browsing.
- Boat Tours: Couples can take a romantic boat ride, whether it’s on a traditional schooner, a lobster boat, or a private charter, to explore the coastline and maybe even spot some seals.
- Seasonal Events: Kennebunkport hosts various events throughout the year, such as the Christmas Prelude, which transforms the town into a winter wonderland, adding to its romantic appeal.
- Nearby Attractions: Beyond the town itself, nearby attractions like the Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge offer opportunities for peaceful nature walks.
What is Kennebunkport best known for?
Kennebunkport, Maine, is best known for several key attributes and attractions:
- Presidential Retreat: The town is perhaps most famously known as the summer home of the Bush family. The Walker’s Point estate has been the summer residence of two U.S. Presidents, George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush.
- Historic Charm: Kennebunkport boasts a rich maritime history, and its historic district is lined with well-preserved 18th and 19th-century buildings.
- Dock Square: The heart of Kennebunkport, Dock Square, is a bustling area filled with unique boutiques, art galleries, souvenir shops, and restaurants.
- Scenic Beauty: The town’s coastal setting, with its sandy beaches, rocky shores, and picturesque harbors, is a major draw for visitors.
- Boating and Fishing: Given its coastal location, Kennebunkport is a hub for boating, fishing, and other water activities. Boat tours, whale watching, and lobstering excursions are popular among tourists.
- Dining: Kennebunkport is renowned for its seafood, especially lobster. Numerous restaurants, ranging from casual lobster shacks to upscale dining establishments, offer fresh catches from the Atlantic.
- Beaches: The town has several beautiful beaches, including Goose Rocks Beach and Kennebunk Beach, which are popular for sunbathing, swimming, and beachcombing.
- Events: Kennebunkport hosts various events throughout the year, such as the Christmas Prelude, which is a festive celebration that attracts visitors from all over.
- Nearby Nature: The Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge, located nearby, offers trails and opportunities to observe local wildlife in its natural habitat.
- Art and Culture: The town has a vibrant arts scene with numerous galleries showcasing the work of local artists, and it often hosts art festivals and events.
How many days is enough in Kennebunkport?
The ideal duration for a visit to Kennebunkport largely depends on your interests and how leisurely you’d like to explore. However, for most visitors:
2-3 days is a common recommendation.
- Day 1: Explore Dock Square with its boutiques, art galleries, and restaurants. Take a stroll along the Kennebunk River and enjoy the scenic beauty. Dine at one of the town’s renowned seafood restaurants.
- Day 2: Spend a day at the beach, such as Goose Rocks Beach or Kennebunk Beach. In the afternoon, consider taking a boat tour, whale watching, or a lobstering excursion.
- Day 3: Visit the Walker’s Point estate (from a distance as it’s a private property) and learn about its presidential history. Then, perhaps explore the nearby Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge or take a drive along the scenic Ocean Avenue.
Is there a lot to do in Kennebunkport?
Yes, Kennebunkport offers a variety of activities and attractions for visitors. Here are some of the things you can do and see in Kennebunkport:
- Dock Square: The heart of Kennebunkport, Dock Square is lined with boutique shops, art galleries, and restaurants. It’s a great place to stroll, shop, and dine.
- Beaches: Kennebunkport boasts several beautiful beaches. Goose Rocks Beach and Kennebunk Beach are popular spots for sunbathing, swimming, and beachcombing.
- Boat Tours: Take a scenic boat tour around the Kennebunk River and the coastline. Some tours offer lobstering experiences, whale watching, or sunset cruises.
- Walker’s Point: The summer home of the late President George H.W. Bush. While the estate itself is private, you can get a good view from Ocean Avenue.
- Ocean Avenue: A scenic drive that offers stunning views of the Maine coastline and the grand seaside homes.
- Seashore Trolley Museum: Located nearby in Kennebunk, it’s the oldest and largest electric railway museum in the world.
- Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge: A serene place for hiking and bird watching, dedicated to the famous environmentalist.
- Historic Homes and Architecture: The town is dotted with historic homes and buildings, some of which date back to the 18th century.
- Dining: Kennebunkport is known for its seafood. Enjoy fresh lobster, clams, and other seafood delicacies at local restaurants.
- Festivals and Events: Depending on when you visit, you might catch local events like the Kennebunkport Festival, Christmas Prelude, or the Launch Maritime Festival.
- Outdoor Activities: Beyond the beach, you can engage in activities like kayaking, paddleboarding, fishing, and more.
- Art Galleries: The town has a vibrant arts scene with several galleries showcasing local and regional artists.
And there you have it, folks—a whirlwind tour of Kennebunkport’s hidden gems and iconic landmarks. From the salty sea air that greets you upon arrival to the last golden rays of a setting sun, this coastal haven is more than a destination; it’s an experience that lingers in your soul long after you’ve left.
Whether you’re an adventurer seeking the thrill of the waves or a romantic yearning for sunset walks on the beach, Kennebunkport has something for everyone. It’s a place where each day offers a new story, a new adventure, and a new chance to fall in love with life all over again.
So, what are you waiting for? Pack your bags, fuel up that wanderlust, and set your sights on Kennebunkport. Because the best places to go in Kennebunkport are the ones that make you feel like you’ve found a second home. And trust me, once you’ve tasted the magic of this coastal paradise, you’ll be planning your return trip before you even say goodbye.